Enrolling in Medicare Part A & B is the next step. It is a fairly simple process and can be completed in a relatively short amount of time. If you are already receiving Social Security benefits, you will be automatically enrolled in Part A and B. You will receive your Red, white and blue Medicare card in the mail about 3 months prior to your 65th birthday.

If you plan to continue working past your 65th birthday and will have creditable employer group coverage, simply return your card to temporarily opt out of Part B coverage. They will send you a new card with Part A only. You will have a “special enrollment period” to sign up for Part B without a penalty when you decide to stop working or you terminate your employer coverage.

If you are not automatically enrolled in Medicare, you will need to enroll yourself, typically during your Initial Enrollment Period. This period is a 7 month window as outlined below.

You can enroll by making an appointment at your local Social Security office, over the phone (1-800-772-1213) or by going online a We also have the link to enroll conveniently located on our website under the “resources” tab. Visit for more information.

Enrolling During a Special Enrollment Period

If you have delayed your Part B because you or your spouse have creditable coverage through employer group plan, you will be granted a Special Enrollment Period. You will not be assessed a penalty for delaying your enrollment. You can enroll in Part B while you are still covered by your employer plan or during the 8 month window that begins after employment ends or the group coverage ends, whichever is first.

To enroll in Part B during a Special Enrollment Period, there a few easy steps you will need to take. You will need to have the following forms filled out and sent to Social Security:

  • CMS 408(application for enrollment in Medicare)
  • CMS L564(request for employment information)

You will fill out CMS Form 408 and your employer will fill out CMS Form L564. When you have the completed forms, it is suggested to hand deliver them to your local Social Security office to be certain they are received. Make sure to make copies of everything. Please note you can request to delay your Part B up to 3 months while you still have employer coverage. Your request will be processed and you will receive a letter from Social Security advising you of their decision.

If you need the forms mentioned above, they can be found on our website under the “resources” tab or feel free to call us(1-800-791-6850) or request the forms via email ([email protected]) We are happy to help you in any way we can.

Liberty Medicare Advisors

Serving Consumers Nationally


  [email protected]